Sunday, August 19, 2007

More Vacation Stuff

One of the best parts of my vacation was going to see The Yarn Harlot in Halifax. She was very entertaining and managed to convince me that I wasn’t all that abnormal! It is so good to find like minded people. I found myself in a room full of people to whom I would not have been embarrassed to admit that I had packed three knitting projects for a one week camping vacation… This is something that non-knitters would never, ever understand! They mistakenly believe that clothes are more important. I would agree on an adequate number of underwear changes, but beyond that? I don’t think so! Knitting trumps clothing for suitcase space just about any day.
Now one of the really nice things about going to see the Harlot was that I got to meet some of the knitters from KOL. You’ll find their link in my sidebar, and even some direct links to some of them… The downside of this is that I am now experiencing “knitting group envy”. Sigh… Don’t get me wrong – despite the fact that I haven’t made it to a meeting of the Fredericton Knitters' Group for a few months, I do enjoy the group. But KOL meets once a week… And they meet in public… And they now have matching shirts… And their leader (at least I think he is their leader) is a monster named Henry!
Getting back to the positive – I will get to meet up with them TWICE in October when I am in Halifax for meetings. No contest. Knitters versus civil servants? Knitters win everytime! Sorry co-workers but I won’t be joining you.
The day after the Harlot, we headed home via Chester Basin and Mahone Bay. Mr. Me wanted to go to Chester Basin, I wanted to go to Mahone Bay… If you’re in the area, drop in to Have a Yarn! It’s a great little shop.

6 comments:

lulubelle said...

While I'd be inclined to argue that Henry is not our leader, as he is our mascot...I know the truth.

Sigh.

Henry is our leader.

Proving that we are indeed, ruled by the yarn.

Nancy @ the Jersey Shore said...

Glad you got to see the Yarn Harlot. I took a break from kniting tonite (!?) and read some of "At Knit's End" I smiled a lot.
btw...send me your email address, I have zucchini recipe for you ;-)

Alison said...

Not just any monster. A KNITTED monster.

km said...

I loved Henry. I had totally forgotten about Kate. I may have to put that in the cue for Christmas. I've been knitting with M's cousin once a week (I started teaching her about 6 weeks ago) and she's almost ready to felt her first bag. I would like to find a KOL group around here. I visited a group at a LYS and they had a little too much B**** and not enouch Stitch.

Lisa said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip. I hope that the Harlot's visit here in September is as much fun as everyone else ahs described....

scappyhappy said...

I totally agree you should always pack knitting! The one time I didn't, which was on my vacation recently to FL, I was so sorry. I thought I would be so busy with sightseeing and my friends at night. Well no...it was too hot to go out in the day and knitting socks would have kept me ahead of my projects...oh well...you live and learn. Now I am obsessed at night to knit and knit....