Thursday, August 16, 2007

Fall Felted Bag Exchange Questionnaire

How long have you been knitting or crocheting? How did you learn? or from whom?
Well, I'm glad your asked that question - I've been knitting for over a quarter of a century and I taught myself from a library book. It's very difficult to find other left handed knitters that knit left handed.
What was your first felted object, and why did you decide to try felting?
Truthfully, my first felted object remains as a UFO. It was meant to be a felted baby jacket for my niece who is now 14. My first finished felted object was a hat. I decided to make the hat because the samples on display at Wool-Tyme in Halifax (now LK Yarns) were just so darned cute.
What are your favorite colors? Any you hate?
I love pinks, purples, blues and green. I'm not an yellow or brown person, but I do like orange.
What are your favorite styles\types of bags? (Long straps? Short handles? Handbags? Totes? Embellished? Plain? Include links to patterns or photos if you’d like – give your pal an idea of what you enjoy!)
I need straps long enough to place the bag over my shoulder, or at the very least over my wrist. I seem to always need my hands free... And I'm probably more of a handbag gal. Embellished or plain is a tricky quetion! It depends on both the bag and the yarn used to make it. I could go either way on that one... However, I am completely and totally in love with the Noni bags. I blame Crafty Canadian for that... She put a photo of one of their bags on her blog and I've been a goner ever since!
What handbag or bag are you carrying today? Do you use a separate bag to carry your knitting? My usual black leather handbag that I thought would be practical, but that I really don't like... My knitting is almost always separate and can be found in any number of totes that I have depending on the project and / or my mood.
What other things do you enjoy knitting or crocheting?
I've been doing a lot of socks recently, as well as some scarves and shawls. Portability has become an essential criteria for my knitting projects.
What sort of needles do you enjoy working with? (straights vs circs, bamboo vs aluminum)
I probably tend to use straights more often because I have them. I much prefer bamboo, but don't have the budget to do a complete changeover, so I still have some aluminun hanging around.
What’s one project you’ve not yet tried but are dying to make?
I'm going to have to give this some serious thought. I have a memory that malfunctions frequently (I'm blonde...) and I tend to be distracted by "shiny stuff"!
What’s one yarn you’ve not yet tried but are dying to work with?
This may seem odd, and I know that it doesn't felt, but hemp! Or a 100% linen yarn. I've only ever knit linen blends.
What other hobbies do you have? Do you spin? Sew? Garden?
I cross stitch, bead some, sew, cook... I enjoying reading when I have time, which doesn't seem to be too often these days. And while I don't exactly enjoy it, I do lots of laundry!
Besides yarn, do you collect anything?
Buttons and beads.
What kind of goodies do you enjoy? Sweets? Salty? Anything you hate or are allergic to?
Salty or spicy! I despise black licorice, or anything involving black licorice - yeah that includes those pretty licoric all sorts. Fortunately, the only thing that I'm allergic to that really matters is penicillin and I can't see any of you sending me mouldy bread...
Do you have any kiddos? (Furry kind count!)
2 sons - 11.5 and 7 years old, 1 male cat (kitten really - he's only 7 months but quite a bruiser) and 2 male gerbils. Add in the husband and I am incredibly outnumbered!
What kind of project best personifies you and why?
This would be more interesting if answered by my husband, but probably less flattering, too! Whimsical. I like things to be practical, but I derive pleasure from things that are amusing or different.
What is your favorite part of Autumn? You can also share a special Autumn memory if you'd prefer!
I love the Fall leaves. We were married Thanksgiving weekend in 1994. The weather in October (remember we're talking Canadian Thanksgiving here) is still pleasant - not too hot and not too cold, but the foiliage is just beautiful. I've promised some follow up shots to this one around anniversary time.
Tell us 3 things you would do if you won 10 million dollars in the lottery.
Pay off my mortgage and the mortgages of my close friends and family members.
Finish renovating my house and property.
Go shopping for yarn and shoes!!!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I'll help you shop for that yarn and those shoes if you do win the lottery!

Anonymous said...

Ooh I can't wait to see the follow up pictures! So glad you joined us!

Dorothy said...

Laundry...Yes, I'm beginning to see how it gets counted as a hobby. I believe I spend at least a quarter of my day folding, washing dishes, and picking up toys.

I can't wait to get to knit a felted bag for someone!

Anonymous said...

HELLO! I just received the email that I'm your secret fall felted bag person :) This should be super fun . . . can't wait to read more of your blog, we have had so much rain here that i was without power for 25 hours! YUK - and I'm exausted from bailing water all night. anyways HI! SecretFeltedBagPerson