I must say that I'm really liking the whole swap experience. I'm getting them lined up so that I go from one to another... I like having the chance to get to know someone a little bit and getting to read other people's blogs is a whole lot of fun. It makes me realize how similar, yet how different knitters are!
My completed questionnaire for the Spring Felted Bag Exchange follows. I've got to say - our swap hostesses manage to come up with some rather difficult questions which they manage to hide in the guise of simplicity... Clever...!
1. How long have you been knitting or crochetting? How did you learn?
I've been knitting since I was 14 or 15. I taught myself from a book that I borrowed from the library. (I'm a lefty who knits left.)
2. What are your favorite yarns to knit\crochet felted bags with?
Since I live in New Brunswick, Canada, I go with the local product - Briggs and Little! It's the only yarn that I have done a lot of felting with.
3. What are your favorite needles to knit\crochet with?
I used to just use whatever was readily available, but am currently having a love affair with Bamboo needles and I love my Pony Pearls. I only have one pair (2.5mm for socks) of PP as they aren't available locally.
4. What are the last 3 bags you knitted\crochetted (include URL for Yahoo! or flickr album or your blog if you have them!)? You can also link to patterns if you don't have pictures of your finished objects!
Do you really think that I can remember that much information? Okay, I'll try. Most recent: a beaded drawstring bag , a sweet little beaded bag for notions for a swap (Pattern? What pattern? It was kind of McGuyverish...) and Woobly Circles from Interweave Knits (I can find the issue if someone really needs it - it's the only felted bag in the lot! I didn't take a picture.).
5. Do you carry the bags that you make, give them as gifts, or both?
Both. The Woobly was a Christmas gift for my FILs wife. The little green bag is still thinking about who it wants as an owner and the little beaded bag - well you can see its owner.
6. What is your favorite felted bag that you have made for yourself?
This is sad to admit, but I've never kept one of the felted bags that I've made! They've all ended up as gifts. I have great plans to make myself a Woobly. I love the bucketish shape and the size is great - enough room for a small knitting project, keys, wallet, etc. I have a floppy re-cycled sari silk bag that I carry a lot.
7. What are your favorite colors? Do you like bags in these colors or choose other colors?
I love pinks, purples, greens and blues. For me, the colour of a bag should suit the bag's purseonality.
8. Chocolate: White, Milk, Dark, or not so much?
This is a mood thing for me. If I "need" chocolate, I really enjoy a good quality milk chocolate.
9. Coffee, Tea, or Milk?
Yes? I typically drink all three every day but I think that the coffee is the most important to me. I start my day with coffee - EVERY DAY!
10. Do you prefer sweet or salty treats? What kinds?
Salty treats. I've never met a deep fried potato that I didn't like. And I think that I feel the same way about anything made with puffed corn products. And who wouldn't like nuts?
11. If you went into Bath and Body Works and could only come out with one item, what would it be and what would it smell like?
I'm sort of winging this one since I'm not familiar with Bath and Body Works but I love bubble baths and my favourite scents include Jasmine, Vanilla and Lavendar.
12. Do you enjoy any other crafts or hobbies? Do you collect anything?
I like to sew, cook, read and do a little bit of jewellery making. (I'm still perfecting the whole business of turning the head/eye pins.) I have a collection of Madeline dolls, although sadly they have stopped making them. And like more knitters, I collect yarn and buttons.
13. Are there any bag patterns you have not yet knit, but hope to someday?
I have a binder full of patterns that I would like to knit - all sorts of things! Some (I've limited it to 3) bags that really "speak" to me are: Bowling Bag Purse, Skull and Crossbones Tote (we have a boat and this would be great) and Retro Wedge.
14. What is currently OTN (on the needles) for you?
A pair of socks for my husband, a pair of Camelot socks, a red mohair shawl, a green cotton cardigan, the Lizard Ridge Afghan... Is that enough? Or do I need to go and dig through the basket to find what hiding at the bottom. And don't make me go upstairs...!
15. What is your most recent finished object before that?
I just finished a pair of Monkey socks yesterday evening for one of the other students in my French class. They're a surprise for her.
16. What's cutest: Puppies, Piggies or Pixies?
Piggies! "Oink, oink, oink" is code for "I love you" with my sons, since you don't want your Mom saying that in front of your friends - how embarassing!!!
17. Do you enjoy reading? Books, Magazines, or both?
Yes, very much. You're never bored if you have something interesting to read. I like both books and magazines.
18. Do you have any children? (kid-kind or pet-kind apply!)
2 human children and one cat child - all boys! My sons are 11 and almost 7. Tiger is still a kitten. He is only 7 months old.
19. What are some of your favorite yarns for other projects?
I've been knitting a lot of socks recently. I really like the handpainted yarns. I have knit a fair bit with the self striping yarns, but I'm a little bit bored with them... Yawn...
20. And for the final question, one I see debated all over: Novelty Yarn: Love it! Hate it! or It depends!
It depends - it does have its uses. It can be very pretty and maybe add something just a little bit different to a project. Some of it would also make EXCELLENT pot scrubbers...
My home is smoke free. We have 1 cat and a couple of gerbils. I am not allergic to smoke but really dislike the smell of it. None of my allergies are exactly relevant to a swap since I'm counting on you not to mail me penicillin! Other things that I have felted include: hats, slippers and a cat bed (yes, Tiger is a wee bit spoiled).
Did I forget anything? Just let me know so I can play "It's all about ME!"