Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Punishment

"No good deed goes unpunished." Now, under normal circumstances, I try not to be too cynical. Part of "Miss Me: version 2007" involves me trying to be more involved in my community. To that end, when an e-mail arrived last week looking for exam supervisors for my professional association, I agreed. I mean, really, how hard can it be to supervise a professional accounting exam? Accountants aren't typically unruly either before or during an exam. Afterwards? Sure - why not?
So I arrive at the appointed time and place and get things under way. No problem - I have 4 hours to knit! About half an hour into the exam, the door opens. It turns out that there was some sort of double booking issue with the room, but Security assured me that my association had it booked and all was well from their perspective. However, in getting to that assurance, I was bullied by a senior citizen! This man brought a whole new meaning to grumpy old man. Good thing that I'm not easily intimidated. The guy was seriously rude, obnoxious and out of line, but on top of that he consumed about half an hour of my knitting time. (And yes, I did feel very badly for the person who was writing the exam, but he seemed to be a good sport about it and laughed it off.)

No comments: