Thursday, June 7, 2007

Going on a "Virtual Vacation"!

I'm going on a Virtual Vacation! I can't wait to find out what I need to virtually pack. Hopefully it is somewhere warm so that there is lots of room in the suitcase (smaller clothes after all) for my virtual souvenirs. Yes, I am touring with the Knitters Virtual Vacation Swap. It should be fun. I'm trying to time my swap packages at around one per month. So far so good and I am having so much fun!

And without further rambling and delaying, here is my Virtual Vacation questionnaire -

1. If you could visit any state in the US, which would it be and why?
This is a tough question for a Canadian! I think that I would have to go with Louisiana. Why? The link that exists between the Acadians of Atlantic Canada and the Cajuns of Louisiana intrigues me. While I’m not Acadian (heck I’m not even from Atlantic Canada), it is a very interesting culture that really adds very much to the richness of our multicultural fabric. But – there isn’t a single state that I’d say that I wouldn’t be interested in visiting… Like Canada, the US is so large that each and every state would be different with its own assets and beauty.

2. If you could visit any country in the world, other than your own, which would it be and why? Australia. I’ve had an ongoing interest in Australia. It’s unique and remote, and much like Canada, it is very large with very few people (relatively). Besides, they have great wool! (Also a strong contender: Scotland. Why? Their knitting heritage. And I wonder why my husband won’t let me choose our vacation destinations…!)

3. Have you ever driven across several states/providence/countries?
Yes, on many occasions. For sheer coverage, the best that I’ve managed is 3 provinces, 4 states and 2 countries in one trip. I suppose that really it wasn’t “across” all of them, but I’m counting “through” parts of them as “across”.

4. Have you ever visited someplace you consider exotic? Where was it?
Have you ever seen an iceberg, live and in person? I did on numerous occasions in Newfoundland, so I’m going to say “Yes” to exotic locales. I lived in Newfoundland for a year and I must say that it is an amazing and beautiful place. You can stand at Cape Spear and look at the Atlantic Ocean knowing that the next landfall is Ireland. It is awe inspiring.

5. What was your favorite "travel" vacation? Why?
Two years ago we went tenting in Maine - a nice little family road trip. We had fun doing "educational" things with the kids, doing a little bit of shopping and the obligatory coast of Maine beach combing. The only drawback was tenting in the tail end of Katrina. We eventually upgraded to a cabin. The tent didn't survive that trip, but it wasn't because of the wind or the rain (directly). Mr. Me decided that it was better to put the tent in the dryer than to wait a bit to let it dry naturally. It melted. We left it in Maine.

6. Have you ever played tourist in your own home city/state (if international, country)? Explain.
Yes - on many occasions. Most recently, in February I went to Quebec City for the first time. It was a class "field trip" during a French course, but we went to Old Quebec, the Citadel, museums, etc. It was GREAT!

7. Are you a museum visitor, beach comer or an amusement seeker?
All of the aforementioned… What can I say – I need balance! And I have kids so the amusements is a “must”.

8. What's your favorite type of yarn?
I prefer finer weights – usually nothing heavier than a worsted weight – and definitely natural fibres, although synthetic are allowed as strengtheners.

9. What's your least favorite type of yarn?
Bulky weight acrylic or Phentex “Elite”. Those slippers wear like IRON!!!

10. What items do you like to knit/crochet?
Pretty well anything, although I don't usually knit dishcloths. The only exception is when my 95 year old grandmother asks for new ones. I'm just starting in on the crochet thing, so I'm not quite so certain about that.

11. What do you pack, knit/crochet wise when you go on vacation?
Usually smaller projects, often socks.

12. What other crafts do you do/would like to do other than Knit/Crochet?
I cross stitch, sew and have tried my hand a jewelry making. I’m sure that there are others, but since I’ll try most things once, I may have forgotten some long ago projects.

13. Are you allergic to anything? (Yarn wise or treat wise)
No food or fibre allergies.

14. What is your favorite color? Least Favorite?
I like pinks, purples and greens. I’m not such a big fan of yellows or browns, although I do have an odd affinity for orange

15. Sweet or Savory (Treat not personality)? Savory!

16. Anything else we are forgetting to ask that you think your partner desperately needs to know?
I'm left handed, which might explain why I always seem to be looking at the world from a slightly different angle...

3 comments:

Nancy @ the Jersey Shore said...

oh gosh, I'm sorry, I just burst out LOL at Mr Me melting the tent in the dryer! Oh dear.
I'm left handed too...don't you know we're all geniuses?

Ariel said...

Loved your left-handed comment and hope you don't mind that I copy it for my "something different."

Geniuses? COOL!!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm left handed too - heh heh heh VVSPal