This is my 100th post, and today I am home sick, feeling miserable, so it somehow feels appropriate to do something that's all about me...
One Hundred Things About Me
1. I am a natural blonde, although it is usually “enhanced”.
2. I am a middle child.
3. I have 2 sisters.
4. My older sister is my favourite.
5. Since I already had a sister, I wanted a brother when my younger sister was born. Why do people ask kids what they want? It’s not like they really have an influence over the whole brother or sister eventuality.
6. I have been married twice.
7. My first husband was the oldest of three children and so is my second husband.
8. I never met my husband’s youngest brother. He died before I met Mr. Me.
9. While I am left handed, every other member of my family is right handed. I try to insist that the kitchen should be set up to accommodate me, but I usually loose the battle.
10. I have two sons. They’re terrific!
11.My mother-in-law asked me if I was disappointed when I had my second son… She always wanted a daughter. I just wanted a healthy baby!
12. I have size 9 feet. Before younger son, they were an 8.5. Before older son, they were an 8.
13. I can’t skate. Unpatriotic, but true!
14. I iron my pillowcases.
15. I wasn’t allowed by my parents to wear pants to school until I was in the sixth grade.
16. Walnuts always make me think of my great-grandfather. He had a black walnut tree in his yard, could make boats from neatly split half shells and always had maple walnut ice cream in his freezer.
17. The very fist pair of shoes that I ever chose for myself was a pair of orange patent leather Mary Janes. It was 1969 – does that make more sense now?
18. As a kid, I was the only kid at birthday parties who wanted strawberry ice cream.
19. I still prefer it to chocolate ice cream.
20. But banana ice cream (or anything thing with a banana base) is my favourite… Monkey Tracks anyone?
21. My first teddy bear was named Lamby Bear.
22. He was a pink and white panda with a bell in one ear.
23, I love pineapple but I really don’t like it on pizza.
24. My eyes are blue, as are the eyes of my parents, siblings, children and my husband.
25. The first time I went to a funeral, I was 25. It was my paternal grandmother.
26. I didn’t get my drivers license until I was 33.
27. I still don’t enjoy driving although I drive quite a bit.
28. I have a Bachelor’s degree in Commerce.
29. I’m a Certified General Accountant.
30. I also have a Diploma in Fashion Techniques and Design – Knit Option.
31. Right after high school I went to university and completed my first year of a Bachelor Science Degree in Chemistry.
32. I regret not having finished this degree in some respects, but that would have put me on a very different path…
33. I went to a college that was run by Ursuline nuns and lived in residence. Now THAT was an interesting experience. (Brescia College at the University of Western Ontario. It is now run by a secular board.)
34. I love sour gummies.
35. I’m 5’6” but have always wished that I was taller. That might explain why I usually wear heels!
36. My mother doesn’t know about my blog.
37. I won’t carry a vinyl purse or wear vinyl shoes.
38. I’ll wear a blend, but I won’t wear 100% acrylic.
39. I’m more open to polyester although it makes absolutely no sense.
40. I could never be a vegetarian, never mind a vegan! I just like my meat too much…
41. I respect your right to choose not to eat something and would prepare a vegan meal for a guest in my home.
42. I did grades 2, 3 and 4 in two years.
43. I had an imaginary friend named “Sally GooGoo” when I was a child.
44. My older sister could see her, too.
45. My toenails are always painted during the summer because I don’t like the look of naked toes in sandals. But my toenails are almost never painted during the winter because no one much sees them…
46. I eat for comfort. Yes – I’m an emotional eater…
47. My favourite comfort food is Salt and Vinegar potato chips. Lays, please…
48. I wish that I was in better shape.
49. I need to figure out how to get better organized.
50. I try very hard not to spoil my children with material things. I’d rather spoil them with love and attention.
51. I don’t believe that I am entitled to anything that I haven’t earned.
52. I was a geek in high school.
53. I didn’t like high school.
54. I choose my female friends very carefully.
55. Perhaps too carefully…
56. I am not someone who most people find immediately likeable.
57. That might explain while people either love me or hate me…
58. I love red lipstick although I tend to wear it less often now than I did when I was younger.
59. I was raised a Presbyterian, but it didn’t “take”…
60. I now attend an Anglican church, but I don’t believe absolutely everything they tell me…
61. We didn’t have a television until I was 6. It was a gift (a hand-me-down) from my grandparents. Left to their own devices my parents wouldn’t have bought a television.
62. I treasure the portrait of my paternal grandmother that was taken on her wedding day. It is the portrait that my grandfather kept of her on his bedside table until he died. (My Dad knew that I wanted it and quietly picked it up for me…)
63. I won’t eat raw mushrooms. Same applies to raw fish. Fish is meant to be cooked! I like raw onions, but they don’t like me, so I can’t eat them… They get cooked, too.
64. I don’t really like either Coke or Pepsi. I’m much more a gingerale kind of girl, although I do have an odd liking for the “kid” flavours like Cream Soda, lime, orange and grape.
65. Don’t even try talking to me before I’ve had coffee in the morning. I won’t remember anything… Yes, I am a caffeine addict.
66. I’m allergic milk, cheese and beef, but fortunately not badly enough that I can’t eat them.
67. I’ve had laser surgery on my eyes, but not to correct my vision. It was to close the holes that had developed in my retina.
68. I have never worn contact lenses.
69. I’ve worn glasses since I was 11.
70. I have a collection of Madeline ragdolls. I wish that they still made them.
71. I wear my charm bracelet everyday to remind me of what is truly important in my life. It has two little boys and their birthstones on either side of my birthstone. Mr. Me has the same birthstone as I do, but he isn’t really represented because I got it during a particularly rough period in our marriage. Good thing that its stainless steel!
72. I eat my French fries with salt and vinegar, never ever under threat of death with ketchup or gravy. Blech!!!
73. If I could only have one condiment on my hotdog or hamburger, it would be mustard.
74. I was born in Uxbridge, Ontario.
75. I wish I had a better relationship with my parents. (See number 36 above…)
76. I have always underestimated my abilities, although maybe not quite so much now as I once did.
77. I wanted to go to art school.
78. I don’t drink tequila anymore. I know that it tastes the same traveling in both directions…. ‘nuf said?
79. Crowds of people tend to make me anxious. I don’t like the noise. It overwhelms me.
80. I don’t go to see movies at the theatre often at least in part because I find the smell of artificial butter disgusting.
81. I don’t like dirt, but I like a certain amount of clutter. I find it comforting.
82. I own 3 pairs of knee high black leather boots. You can never have too many pairs of those…
83. I grew up in Oakville, Ontario. I still consider it my “hometown”.
84. I grew up in suburbia, but have become very comfortable in my rural setting.
85. I’ve never done it, but I know how to clean a partridge.
86. The only sport that I’ve ever done competitively is archery.
87. I have no fear of public speaking, although for a long time I considered myself to be shy. I mean, really, what is the worst thing that people can do? Laugh? They might do that anyways!
88. I believe that I’m lucky to have been born a Canadian.
89. I can’t fall asleep if my feet are cold.
90. Scrabble is my most favourite board game. I LOVE it!
91. I don’t play cards because I can never remember the rules to anything more complicated than “Go Fish” or “War”.
92. Aside from babysitting, my first job was working part-time in a drycleaners when I was in highschool. Many people have filthy and disgusting habits! (Yes – men in particular… Eeew!)
93. I’m still in touch with the very first boy who ever kissed me. It’s been 30 years. Actually, he is friends with my whole family.
94. I’m VERY ticklish. My sisters used to have great fun with this… Fun for them. Not fun for me!
95. I’ve never been to Florida.
96. When I count, I tend to count in groups of 12. No – I have no idea why, but I am confident in saying that British currency pre-decimalization would have made perfect sense to me.
97. I’ve always wanted red hair - and curls! The only people who get excited about poker straight hair are those people who don’t have it.
98. I’m neither politically active nor politically affiliated, but I do ALWAYS vote. I feel that unless I exercise my democratic right to have a say in the decision making process, I have no right to complain about the results.
99. Since this blog has lots to do with my knitting, the single most important event in my knitting life, aside from learning the craft in the first place, was a 2 day workshop I took with Lucy Neatby. If you get the chance to take a class with her – DO IT!
100. I feel guilt about being a working mother. As a result, my children have never had a store bought birthday cake. That usually means one homemade cake for the family, another for the party and then cupcakes for their class. The most elaborate? Either the 3D dinosaur that was standing up or the George Shrinks Zooper car…