Friday, October 19, 2007

On the Edges In the Middle

This week was a very special week for me. I got to attend not one, but two knitting groups! Since I was in Halifax on business, I got to go and knit with the ladies of Knitting Out Loud on Tuesday evening. And since I travelled back to Fredericton on Wednesday, I was back in time for the Fredericton Knitters' Group monthly meeting, too. I had two very fun evenings!
Now I've got to say that at 43, I readily admit to being "early middle-aged", with an emphasis on the early, please. If you put the two groups together, I would have been pretty well smack dab in the middle agewise, but separately is a very different matter! At Knitting Out Loud, I was handsdown, no contest, no one even close, the oldest knitter there. Yikes!!! At the Fredericton Knitters' Group, I was the second youngest... This is just weird little observation on my part, but I did find it well, interesting. Both groups are a lot of fun, although quite clearly very different.
I've belonged to the Fredericton group for a little more than four years, and I enjoy it very much. And I don't mean to sound disloyal or anything, but I'm still experiencing "knitter group envy"... Maybe I just need to work on the Fredericton ladies to convince them that:
- we need to meet more than once a month; and
- we need to meet in public.
Sigh...

5 comments:

km said...

I need a knitting group!

inukshuk71 said...

I would love a knitting group too. It must be such fun to meet in a café with other knitters and talk about all things fiber. I doubt I could find another person to join me, let alone a group. Where does your group meet? Someone's home?

Nancy @ the Jersey Shore said...

I really enjoy my 2 knitting groups and wish we met more often. Once a month (for each) is not enough. Some of us get together and knit at one's house in between, but not as a whole group. And now that I'm taking a class, at least another chance to knit with others for the next 4 weeks. 4 weeks already passed by quick.

Lisa said...

I know how you feel with the age thing. I get so sick of hearing that I look too young to be knitting.....I'm 45 and I have been doing it since I was 12.

I think that you need to get your group into the public. Its amazing what that does for your base and for your confidence.

Alison said...

I'm sorry I missed you--trust me to choose the two weeks you'd be up to be on vacation! To be honest, I'm usually the oldest one there--I think there are two of us that are 36, and the rest are all younger. Some of them are very young, just babies really!