Sunday, January 24, 2010

Winter Wear

Yup - the thermometer and all the white stuff on the ground confirms that it is indeed WINTER! Now I don't think that I would want to live somewhere where there weren't really four seasons, I do find that Winter always seems to stick around far longer than it really needs too... Mr. Me and Older Son enjoy skiing, but for someone like myself who is perhaps a little accident prone, hurtling down a hill at any sort of speed does not seem like the smartest idea ever. I tried it once. I didn't even make it to the top of the bunny hill... I'm telling you, it just isn't natural!

So - what do I recommend to help oneself get through the long and cold days of Winter? Handknit Winter Woolies, of course! Let's start with my newest hat. I'm calling it my Violet Hat in honour of the colourway of the yarn. It's original name is Asminah's Hat and you can find the pattern here. I'd agree with Kody May that the hat is hard to photograph, but it was a nice fun and easy knit. I did modify the crochet edging a bit. My final round is reverse single crochet, since I like the kind of picot look that it creates. One ball of yarn... Almost nothing left. We'll call that an efficient use of yarn. Right - so that is my head taken care of... Let's move on to the neck. I've talked about it and it has been done for a while, but I've only just gotten around to gets pictures of it - my Flutter Scarf! Malabrigo Lace in Cactus Flower, which I don't see in the colour selection but is a great shade of pink... Yum...
And since I can't leave anything alone it seems and like sparkly stuff, I added some beads to the cast off edges. I love, love, love this scarf. Hope that it looks as good on me as it does on the newel post!

4 comments:

Ariel said...

The hat is cute and that scarf is just beautiful. I'm sure it will look way better on you than on the post.

km said...

I love the addition of beads to the bind off.

SissySees said...

Oh man... and I'm trying not to have castonitis. They're both beautiful and inspiring!

Knittynutter said...

absolutely gorgeous scarf..
love it..