Thursday, May 17, 2012

Fitting In

With everything going on around me these days, I've been thinking a lot about both how and where I "fit in".  Looking back, I first started blogging, in part, to find a "community" where I belonged - people with common interests.  And I must say, that is exactly what I found for the most part.  I was in the midst of doing language training, and I really felt like the "odd duck" in the class I was in.  I've never been sure why, but it wasn't an unfamiliar feeling either...  I'm sure that says something about me, but I'm not sure I want to think to much about what it says! 
When my blogging became more sporadic, it was in part because I was busy with new things - work, home, etc. - but it was also in part to some unkind comments that had been left.  They were, of course, anonymous.  I shouldn't have let it put me off, but I did.
Yesterday evening was my monthly "knit night".  It is just as diverse a group of people as the knitters I've met "electronically", but after attending most months for 8 years, I still love it just as much.  I think at heart, most knitters are kind and caring individuals.  I've also noted that more than a few have a somewhat bawdy sense of humour...  It doesn't matter how low I feel when I walk in the door, when I leave 2 hours later, I always feel lighter and happier somehow.  In that room, no matter how odd the outside world may find me (and it does), I feel accepted.  When I think about things, I've missed that sort of more frequent electronic "boost" that I got from blogging about knitting and reading about other people's knitting.
I'm not sure that I'm going to be able to get back to blogging the way I would like - those boys of mine keep me pretty busy these days - but I am going to try, and a BIG SHOUT to Kristyn for letting me know that there is someone out there still reading my occasional posts. 
Hmmm...  Now let's see if I can post some FOs some time soon(ish)!

2 comments:

Ariel said...

I'm still reading too!! :-)

Crazy Knitting Fool said...

Please don't let some anonymous a-hole stop you from doing what you love.