Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Intellectual Property

Since I am a working Mom of two kids who travels 75km each way to and from work every day, I cherish my Saturday evenings at home just past the middle of nowhere. Unfortunately for me, Saturday evenings are often spent ironing. Fortunately, I have the company of Randy Bachman and his show Vinyl Tap on CBC Radio One. Mr. Me still misses Danny Finkelman, so I can pretty well count on some peace and quiet... This past week, his show was Part 1 of Girl's Names. He is doing the list alphabetically, with Part 2 this coming weekend.
One of the interesting things that I learned from this show is that you cannot copyright a song title! As examples he gave the title "Jane" and "Gloria". Hmmm... Makes sense and very interesting! (Okay - I'll admit it, I LOVE trivia.)

Then before bed I thought that I would check out bloglines and see what was going on. I came across these entries over at Shut Up, I'm Counting. I'll admit that I arrived at the "Move along - nothing to see here" point, so I never saw the since removed post on the other blog, but in light of the show that I had just listened to, I found it rather interesting. I mean - can someone "own" a commonly used phrase? Do we all need to be that mindful of every small thing that we write or say?

And perhaps more importantly to me: Do you think I need to be worried Leonard Cohen might realize what the inspiration for my blog title was and threaten me with legal action??? Dance... Knit... Love... Time... C'mon - work with me here...




What do you mean that Mr. Cohen has never heard of me and he probably doesn't knit?

2 comments:

sharon said...

you slay me my friend!!!
ahh intellectual property and the debates we could have about that. I love Shut UP I'm Counting, and have used variations of that a number of times. should I trademark Red?

km said...

Hmmm. Didn't know about your title. But, enjoyed the link. =0)