Monday, July 23, 2012

1%

Last year was the summer of the "Occupy" movement.  I'm still not sure how I feel about the whole movement, but I do find their slogan to be quite interesting - "We are the 99%."  It is probably most interesting in the North American context, since as a whole, we are, as North Americans, very fortunate, in my opinion.  Does that diminish the inequality?  Definitely not.  So - last summer I was thinking about the 1% of the world's population that owns 99% of the world's wealth.

Earlier this year, I was in the local gas station paying for some gas when the t-shirt of one of the other patrons caught my eye.  His t-shirt had a reference to a different 1%...  It was a reference to the Bacchus Motorcycle Club - a 1% club.  Not surprisingly, I can't find a link to the club...  This made me think about them again last week.

Now - here is my question:  do we think that these two apparently different 1 per cents are the same 1%?

No comments: