In celebration of our birthday, here are a few facts about Canada for you:
1. Canada has more inland waters and lakes than any other country in the world.
2. Winnie, from Winnie the Pooh is short for Winnipeg - Lieutenant Harry Colebourn's hometown. Lt. Colebourn left the bear at London Zoo while passing through London on the way to France.
3. Canada is the second-largest country in the world
4. Canada has a population of over 32 million
5. Canada has the world's longest coastline.
6. Forests cover almost half of Canada.
7. In Canada, if a debt is higher than 25 cents, it is illegal to pay it with pennies.
8. The first prime minister of Canada was Sir John A. Macdonald.
9. Canada is a federation of ten provinces (Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, and Saskatchewan) and three territories (Northwest Territories, Yukon, Nunavut).
10. Canada's east coast is closer to London than to its own west coast.
For more facts about Canada, have a look here.
And what have Canadians done to enhance your lives? Well, we invented:
4. The Canadarm
5. The Zipper
6. Instant Mashed Potatoes
7. The Lightbulb
8. The Garbage Bag
10. The Gas Mask
Now I know that there is some dispute about the Canadian-ness of some of these inventions, but since today is Canada Day, today they are decidedly OURS!!!