Friday, March 7, 2008

Winter Blahs: The Explanation

My husband probably wouldn't be too pleased if he knew that I'd posted this picture of him on my blog, but considering he never reads it, he'll never know! Besides, I needed him for scale. This is why winter is getting me down. This picture was taken early this week after our storm last weekend. Another one is coming tomorrow. For scale, Mr. Me is just shy of 6' 1"
And here you can see my "wishing well" - the roof of it anyways! The rock wall is about 30 inches high and you can just see the top of it. The "wishing well" is the one of the original wells on the property. For years it was covered with a plywood platform. I was always worried that one of the kids or one of their friends would break through the wood and end up down the well... There's a steel grate set into the mortar so that can't happen. Visitors do drop coins down it and make wishes! You can just barely hear a little splash when the coin hits the water.

11 comments:

Ariel said...

I'm sure that for you it's no fun. For me living in sunny Southern California where it'll be 80 degrees, your home looks perfectly wonderful and what every winter should look like.

kasiaiscarly said...

I love winter, though 6' snow piles have no place in March! If I could have a big 'ol snowy winter last 6 weeks, I'd be all for it!

Nancy @ the Jersey Shore said...

Oh dear. I can see why you're so over winter. That's a hell of a lot of snow. Is that unusual? You can send some here. We have had zilch. :-(
p.s.--hubby is a good looker!

km said...

I'm thinking I'm with Ariel. It looks so sereen. (did I spell that right?) But, I'm not shoveling it. I'm not wearing snow boots. I'm not cold. And I'm sure not trying to get my kids out the door in that. I have a hard enough time getting out of the house...when they're wearing sandles. I'm pretty sure we'd be stuck in the house.

Delusional Knitter said...

Oh yuck! At least you have a nice blue sky, around here in winter its usually grey, grey, grey, grey for weeks (not unlike the grey we have today). We are getting rain now, which is fine with me, that doesn't accumulate! Hope Spring comes for you soon.

Jane Doe Jenn said...

We got a few nice snow storms this week in Ontario, and one more coming tonight. My kids love it! We try to see how high we can make a snow bank when shoveling the driveway and side walks. But then I see our other blog friends' photos of daffodils sprouting out of the ground!!! So I have to look on the bright side and say that as long as we are having lots of snow, no polar bears are drowning.

I wanted to ask you where you found that adorable 'Plutoad' that you sent your pal for the Scavenger Hunt. I'd love to pick one up sometime! you can email me, if you like.

Jane Doe Jenn said...

Sorry, that email link didn't work; still learning!
my email addy is
sweitz4ever@rogers.com
Thanks!

Robin said...

I'm ready for warmer weather! I know you are!!!

Lisa said...

It looks like a picture from a wonderful tourist brochure, but PLEASE keep it up there. We love to look at it but cannot deal with it.....thank you to Mr. Me for his fab modeling!

Shea said...

How beautiful your property is, even covered with all that snow. I can't imagine living in a place where snow actually sticks to the ground. We did have snow flurries on Saturday. We get snow maybe once a year. I think I'll stick with the climate I've got, too cold where you live. Brrrrr!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sick of winter too. I'm glad our snow isn't that deep. In the weather book you gave me, it had a story about back in the day and the snow was that deep, and they had to shovel out the train by hand. Yuk. It's going to be a huge mess when it melts, too.