Friday, May 4, 2007

To FELT or not to FELT: that is the question

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to let knits and purls of outrageous wool remain natural, Or to take the fabric against a sea of hot soapy water, And by friction felt them?

Poor Shakespeare... Poor readers! This may give you a few insights into the workings and wanderings of my mind (such that it is...). The Spring Felted Bag Exchange has a weekly question, and when I read it, Hamlet came to mind.

My first intentional (I'm sure that we've all had a few better forgotten laundry experiences) felting experience was a green baby jacket. I knit the fabric with my knitting machine (it hasn't been out its box since 1994) back in 1993 for the baby that my sister was expecting. My niece will be 14 in July... I felted the fabric, but never quite got around to the cutting, sewing and finishing work. Somehow, I don't think that it will fit anymore. I should probably finish it and wait for a baby shower. The colour would work for either a boy or a girl since I didn't know what the baby was when I started the project. At the time, "boiled" jackets were very fashionable.

My first felting experience with a handknit item was a hat. I was pregnant with my now 7 year old son, so that puts us in 1999. It was a hat. I saw some felted hats at LK Yarns (then Wool Tyme) in Halifax when we were down visiting my MIL, and decided I wanted to try it. I still have the hat, but in a moment of blondeness, I washed it and put it in the dryer... It would probably fit the younger son, but I don't think that a floppy brimmed hat is really quite his style!

On the to do list: make myself a new hat...

No comments: